Tuesday, February 2, 2010

In Response to Paragraphs on Conceptual Art by Sol Lewitt

As a person interested in art (for I refrain from calling myself an artist), Sol Lewitt's Paragraphs on Conceptual Art struck a chord in my heart. Prior to this semester, I have had limited classroom instruction with a few mediums including film, dance, drawing, and ceramics. I have always been asking myself the question, what does it mean? Either to the viewer or artist? I have always felt confused on the point of "art" when friends, colleagues and instructors create beautiful works that are devoid of any purpose or meaning. "No matter what form it may finally have it must begin with an idea. It is the process of conception and realization with which the artist is concerned. Once given physical reality by the artist the work is open to the perception of all, including the artist." Here, Lewitt stated that the idea behind the work of art is the most important aspect of the work. This is a democratization of art in the sense that all every-person's opinion, point of view and input in regards to the material piece is valid and correct, while value is based on the underlying idea.

"In fact, it is best that the basic unit be deliberately uninteresting so that it may more easily become an intrinsic part of the entire work. Using complex basic forms only disrupts the unity of the whole. Using a simple form repeatedly narrows the field of the work and concentrates the intensity to the arrangement of the form. This arrangement becomes the end while the form becomes the means." I visualized myself walking down a dirt path in the middle of the woods. The path had many different twists and turns, as well as other intersecting paths. As I kept walking, the importance my destination faded away, for an end to the journey was inevitable. The journey itself is what is where the most can learned, discovered, appreciated, seen and experienced.


As for now, I am not interested in my terminus; I just want to enjoy the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment